Monday, January 19, 2009

I have a dream!

What a great day to write about your dream. I got the idea from the Meme Express and decided to go for it. I have many dreams; some are big, some are small, some are personal, and some are dreams for the world to share. This will be nowhere close to the beautiful speech that Martin Luther King delivered and unfortunately not as inspirational but it is important to me to think about what my dreams are so that one day I can say, I accomplished my most sought after dreams.

For myself I dream that my children will grow to be successful adults and maybe by some far off chance I will have played a positive roll in their success. I dream that I will be able to travel the world, nothing extravagant, just enough to learn what is out there and to satisfy my curiosities. I dream that I will own my own house, nothing big, in the middle of enough acreage that I will be able to frolic naked without the blinds closed or my neighbors thinking I am crazy (although they will probably be right). And I dream that one day, as an old woman I will sit on the porch of this house in the mountains of North Carolina with a man that I love and we will be able to talk about our life and realize that I have accomplished what I set out to achieve and all is complete. What more could you ask for then that.

For the world I dream big and while I can't control whether these things happen I can dream and pray for them to become reality. We live in a time of great adversity. We have much to overcome and I dream that things will become easier in my lifetime. There will always be strife and conflict but I dream that my children will grow in a world where there is less of it. I dream that our soldiers can soon come home to their families. I dream that less people will have to worry about how they are going to pay for their next meal. I dream that the world is a kinder and more peaceful place to live. I know that everyone says these things but the more people that dream and hope the more it is possible to overcome.

The next question in the prompt asked whether I believed if dreams came true. To answer this I must point out the dream of the man we celebrate today. A dream made in a time where people felt like there was no hope and no justice. And look what has become of that dream today. One day after we celebrate the man who dreamed big for those of all races, we will swear a man in as President of the United States of America whose comes from not only a race other than white but he is biracial. So can dreams come true? The simple answer is of course they can. Will all my dreams come true? Only time will tell!


0 comments: