Monday, January 26, 2009

Monday Movie Meme

Featured Presentation from Monday Movie Meme
Musicals...

Mama Mia - although after my 9 year old playing the songs over and over again on the CD player I am not sure I will ever be able to enjoy the movie again.
Sounds of Music - This movie will hold a place in my heart forever because it was the movie I always watched with my grandmother as a child.
Beauty & The Beast - Yes I know it is animated but I love the song Belle sings in the beginning. Yes I am a dork.
Rocky Horror Picture Show - Funny for this to come after a Disney movie but this was my favorite all through high school. We watched it over and over.
My Fair Lady and Singing in the Rain - two others I watched a lot with my grandma as a child.

And while on this topic I have to comment how interesting I think it is that Musicals are making a comeback with the younger generation. There were a couple when I was a kid but all the movies that my daughters even watch these days are Musicals. All the High School Musicals, Camp Rock, Another Cinderella Story, the Cheetah Girl Movies, and Hair Spray are more popular then anything else right now. And yes I have seen them all, although you will notice I haven't included any of them in my favorites.

1 comments:

The Bumbles said...

Oh - forgot all about "Beauty & The Beast" - good one!

Musicals, like many genres in general, do seem to go in phases. I grew up with Grease and Saturday Night Fever and Rocky Horror. Then they just kind of seemed to disappear.

They seemed to get reintroduced through animated Disney movies in the 80's/'90's before making a come back for adults recently with Chicago, Dreamgirls, Moulin Rouge, Mama Mia. Now kids are getting non-animated ones too as you mention. Thanks for playing!